Online registration is now closed, but we’ll still be accepting registration forms at the door if you missed the window.
Below is this year’s M-Letter in case you missed it:
We have a full weekend of programming, activities and games to choose from. You can find our full program online
Location: Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/ Oakland Bay Bridge (510) 658-9300 Check-in is 3 p.m., and checkout is noon. http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-garden-inn-san-francisco-oakland-bay-bridge-SFOBBGI/index.html
Parking: Parking is free for registered guests of the RG. When you arrive, you will need to take a ticket to enter the parking lot. Hotel guests registered at the group rate will receive their parking validation at the hotel front desk when checking into your room. Those not staying at the hotel will receive parking validation at the RG Registration Table.
Where do I go?
Start by picking up your badge at the Registration Table, located in the hotel lobby. You will need your badge for admission to all presentations and events, for access to the Games Room and the Hospitality Suite, and for all meals. The talks will be held in the meeting rooms on the first floor. Games, activities and meals are in the meeting rooms on the top floor. Hospitality is on the 11th floor in suite 1107/1109.
When does the fun start?
The Registration Table opens at 3pm on Friday, and that is also the check-in time for those staying at the Hotel. Hospitality and the Games room open at3:30 pm, and the first programs start at 3:45 pm Friday. We have some great speakers kicking things off right at 3:45. Those who signed up for Saturdayonly may register starting at 8am Saturday.
Regional Gatherings are only possible at these great rates because everyone pitches in and volunteers. We are a volunteer organization, and we need your help to make sure this event is a success. Plus, volunteering is a great way to meet other Mensans and volunteers simply have more fun! All we’re asking is for a commitment to a single two hour volunteer shift in either registration or hospitality. We even have an online system to sign up for your volunteer shifts, just visit http://signup.com/go/vRKXgZs , find the shift you want, and sign up! If you prefer not to register online, email our volunteer coordinator, Stephanie Thornton at email@example.com .
What’s to eat? (And drink?)
- Friday’s Mexican buffet dinner at the adjacent Chevy’s is included in your registration cost. You will need your RG registration badge with you for admission to our private dinner party space.
- Saturday morning hot breakfast buffet at the hotel is included in your registration. You will receive a coupon for the buffet when you first check in at the registration table. This can be redeemed on Saturday morning in the hotel restaurant.
- Saturday lunch buffet, featuring speaker State Senator Jerry Hill is also included in your registration cost. This will be held in the Top of the Bay West room.
Two meals are also available as optional add-ons and feature keynote speakers. These meals can still be purchased using the downloadable form that you should bring to registration.
- Saturday evening dinner, featuring keynote Seth Shostak, Senior Astronomer at the SETI Institute talking about When Will We Fine E.T and What Happens If We Do? $53.00
- Sunday brunch, featuring keynote Frank Heile, on the topic of Spirituality Explained Scientifically. $23.00
At other times, our Hospitality Suite will be serving snacks and beverages (water, soft drinks, beer and wine). Please respect our agreement with the hotel (and don’t make the other guests jealous) by keeping hospitality food and drinks within the suite. All items served in the hospitality suite are included as part of your registration fee. Note: There will be no breakfast served in hospitality on Saturday (only coffee/ tea) as the hotel breakfast is included. Sunday hospitality breakfast will be limited fare.
The Great American is located on site and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It features a variety of traditional American dishes and comfort foods. There are many other restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel which can be easily reached by the EmeryGoRound or ridesharing services.
If you signed up for an excursion, you will be receiving a separate communication with further details about your tour.
- Friday afternoon: Exploratorium $25 adults/ $18 children
- Sunday afternoon: North Beach Food Tour $59
- Sunday afternoon: Pinball excursion- free/ sign up at the registration table at the RG (limited to 10)
How do I get there?
Located 12 miles from Oakland Airport and 24 miles from San Francisco Airport, the hotel can be reached by taking BART to MacArthur station. ($8.25 from OAK, $9.35 from SFO).
From here, you can do one of the following:
- Take the free Emery-Go-Round shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn (route details here: https://www.emerygoround.com/standard-service.html)
- A complimentary shuttle is available from the Hilton Garden Inn within a 3-mile radius of the hotel from 6am to 10am Mon- Friday and from 4pm to 8pm Mon- Thurs). Call the hotel to reserve your ride no later than the evening before.
- An Uber/ Lyft/ Taxi from MacArthur is inexpensive, as this is just a 4 mile ride from the station.
From North: 80W to San Francisco. Exit Powell St. At bottom of ramp turn left onto Frontage Rd. Hotel is on the right side.
From South: 880N to Oakland. Take 980E, then 580W, then 80E and exit Powell St. At bottom of ramp turn left onto Frontage Rd. Hotel is on right side.
From East: 24W, then 580W, then 80E. Exit Powell St. At bottom of ramp turn left onto Frontage Rd. Hotel is on right side.
From West: 80E, cross Bay Bridge. Take 580W to 80E, exit at Powell St. At bottom of ramp turn left (Powell St). Hotel will be straight ahead.
If you have any questions or need to report difficulties, speak to any committee member. For questions ahead of the event, you can emailRGChair@sfmensa.org
We hope you’ll have a great time at your RG weekend, and appreciate it that you are spending it with your fellow Mensans.